I read about W. Mitchell in the book, Chicken Soup for the Soul. He is a former member of the United States Marine Corps, burn victim, paraplegic, and a former small-town mayor. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W_Mitchell). We can learn a lot from him.
He had so many setbacks in life but still, he carried on and made major achievements. He never gave up. He just said to himself “I am in charge of my own spaceship. It is my up and my down. I can choose to see this situation as a setback or as a starting point”. Today, he empowers people to accept challenges, embrace change and take action.
- A motorcycle accident left him with 65% burns on his body
- He crashed on take-off in a small aircraft he was piloting which left him paralyzed from the waist down.
- He was elected mayor of Crested Butte in Colorado and ran for Congress
- Successful businessman
- Environmentalist & conservationist
- He became a motivational speaker and appeared on Good Morning America, The Today Show, NBC Nightly News, and The New York Times
- Today he is a millionaire
“Before I was paralyzed there were 10,000 things I could do. Now there are 9,000. I can either dwell on the 1,000 I’ve lost or focus on the 9,000 I have left.” – W Mitchell
Read his story here: https://www.wmitchell.com/about/
He is an inspiration to us all.