All of us experience some sort of negativity sometime in our lives. It can happen quickly, or over a period of time. One day or minute you are in a happy mood, everything is going well, then suddenly everything changes and you are depressed and in a negative state of mind. Let’s discuss how to get rid of negativity in our lives.
I am not going to discuss depression in this article; this is a totally different subject all on its own. People that suffer from depression need professional help.
Some of us suffer from negative thoughts more often than others and some have more severe “attacks”. Sometimes we do not even notice it until someone else recognises your mood change and makes you aware of it.
[learn_more caption=”DICTIONARY DEFINITION”]
EXPLANATION – OXFORD DICTIONARY:
- Showing the absence rather than the presence of something.
- Expressing denial, disagreement or refusal.
- Not hopeful or favourable.
What makes us see the negative aspect in any or all situations?
- Is it in our nature?
- Our surroundings?
- Sudden bad news?
It may be any or all of these factors above and many more. How do we fight against it? How did it start in the first place? Why did we not see it coming?
We need to identify a negative thought as soon as it surfaces and then quickly determine what triggers it. You need to be the one to fight back and not let this negative emotion get you down and take control of your life. It comes like a thief in the night. You need to watch out all the time and be on your guard.
Look around you each day and see what kind of people you are associating yourself with. In your normal day to day job you cannot choose who you work with or deal with. However, you can try and take notice the next time you are in the company of people, be it colleagues or friends or family. Feel the energies of the people surrounding you. Are they friendly or happy? Or are they negative, grumpy, angry, and sad?
You cannot always avoid negative or depressing people, but you can ignore or cut off their negative energies from affecting you by blocking your mind from any negativity entering it. Listen to what they have to say, notice and feel the mood they are in then try and move away from this negative field. Try and stay out of their way as much as possible. Avoid them until they can or have the ability to change to a more positive mood. Try and keep your mind positive.
Negative thoughts and feelings makes us depressed if we let it go on for long periods and before you know it, it has taken over your life. The longer you stay in this negative, depressed mood the longer it takes to get out of your mind. It pushes you into a dark, deep tunnel. The longer you stay in this situation the deeper you fall and the harder you need to struggle to get out of this tunnel. You cannot see the happy, positive side of anything in life anymore, only the black, dark, negative and depressing world you have let yourself fall into.
How to Stay Positive and Get Rid of Negativity:
- Surround yourself with happy, positive people.
- Join groups that will encourage you.
- Start a new hobby or take up and old one that you used to enjoy and have neglected.
- Don’t cut yourself off completely from the world and the happenings in it, but stay in touch (even though the news we watch and read in media can be gruesome and negative most of the time there are also happy and wonderful and positive events every day), but try and keep your thoughts positive and pray or meditate for those who suffer in the world.
- Meditate every day – even if just for 5 minutes. Clearing your mind for just this short time quickly allows negative feelings to dissipate.
- If you feel a negative thought enter your mind, think about the thought for only a moment, write it down, and then start thinking of something positive and beautiful immediately. That way your mind will fill up with positive thoughts and there will be no room left for negative thoughts. You can then review the negative thought at a later stage if its something that requires action on your part.
- Experience nature, feel the sun shining down on you, listen to the birds singing. Breathe in the fresh air. Take a walk in your garden, to a park, anywhere in nature. If you stay in the city and do not have a garden or park nearby, keep pot plants inside your apartment. Flowers and plants are good for our souls and take away all the negativity – it will always cheer you up. Or just buy a bunch of brightly coloured flowers; place them where you can see it all throughout the day. This will cheer you up and remind you of all the beautiful things in your life.
- If you still have young children at home, give them the attention they need. Listen to them, join in when they play, run around with them, laugh and play like a child. Experience the world of a child again, the wonderment of discovering new things in life. Children bring so much happiness and joy to our lives.
These are just some suggestions that you can follow to get away from all those negative thoughts. There are numerous others that you can develop yourself in your own time and that will suit your lifestyle.
Start a List
Start a list of all the positive things you still want to do. Start with one word only. At a later stage, start making sentences with that one word.
When negative thoughts enter my mind, I take a notepad, and start with the alphabet letter A on the first line, then continue to the letter Z. Leave about 2-3 lines in between for each letter of the alphabet.
Now start with A and write next to it POSITIVE words that start with the letter A. You might only think of one to start off with. Keep this list with you and try to write a positive word next to each of the alphabet words as soon as it enters your mind – ONLY POSITIVE WORDS THOUGH – discard any negative words! Soon you will have a whole page full of positive words next to almost every alphabet letter on the page(s).
Look at this list every time you feel negative or depressed and see, feel and hear the positive words and descriptions in your mind. This way you can fill your mind with POSITIVE thoughts and feelings instead of negativity. Now you can take these words and start writing sentences. Before you know you have a whole list of positive, good ideas to work on and this will encourage you to start forming a list of all your goals and dreams and you can start working on them.
May you succeed and have happy, positive thoughts and lots of new goals and dreams for your future.
Blessings to you all.